You have put your heart and soul into a well-edited novel and the time has come to send that baby out into the world. What do you do? Again, it’s time consuming and can get costly, so you must decide what you can afford.
First, I recommend you buy Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript by Jack & Glenda Neff, Don Prues published by the Writer’s Market. This book has all the right instructions, with examples, for your submission.
Following are some extra tips;
• By now you should know the publisher you want to target. Read their guidelines, again. Be sure you have the correct editor’s name and spelling. Call or email the publisher if you are unsure.
• Print your cover letter, synopsis, and manuscript on clean white paper. Don’t get cute. Editors don’t like cute.
• If you are a smoker, do NOT while you are printing and packaging. The smell will be absorbed by your paper and carry through to the editor bringing about a damned quick rejection.
• Be courteous in your letter, but by everything that is powerful, do NOT suck up. You’re a professional. Act like a professional.
Speaking of professional, here’s a few more things you should do;
• Join writer’s groups online.
• Join local writer’s groups.
• Develop or join a critique group.
• Get a professional website
• Attend every conference you can afford and network. There are rules of etiquette you must follow;
Smile, be pleasant. No one wants to hear about your kid, the brat, or your other half, the jerk.
Don’t interrupt someone who is speaking.
Dress professionally, which means look presentable not like you’re on an emergency toilet paper run.
• Produce a business card with the following info;
A slogan to remember you which is called a Tag
Your email address
Your phone number, but only on cards for editors and friends
Fax number if you have one, but only on cards for editors and friends
The card would look something like this;
Mary Johnson writing as Hot Mama
Hot Mama sets your world on fire
Dress your card in the same look as your web site.
Good luck to you all and please let me know how it goes. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a wonderful weekend. I'll be back Monday with Nancy DiMauro and her bad boy Jack. Until then...