Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Scallops Are Scrumptious

I'm very pleased to bring you Gabriela Sneider, an intelligent young woman with serious goals for her future. Gab has free rein over my blog every third Wednesday of the month when she'll present wonderful food suggestions for all of us to enjoy. Take it away, Gab...

Thanks for sharing your blog with me, Sloane. I'm excited to write about eating healthy from a college student's perspective.

I am a 3rd year student at University of California in Santa Barbara and I love reading your food blog! As a college student, it is important to keep a healthy and balanced diet in order to perform well in school. Now that I am living on my own as opposed to living in the dorms, I have learned to cook healthy meals for myself. Personally, I enjoy eating a sustainable seafood diet. I feel as though I have seen a dramatic change in my health, mostly a weight change as well as feeling more energized and overall healthier due to this seafood diet.

Are you looking for a healthier diet? Stay away from artificial foods and move towards a sustainable seafood diet! Who knew seafood could have so many health benefits? I sure didn't until I researched and learned about all the benefits of eating local seafood.

As a college student, it's difficult to find time in my busy schedule to cook a healthy meal. However, there are some quick and easy ways to make seafood. Scallops, specifically, are delicious and extremely easy to cook. They can be broiled or seared and by adding a few savory spices you create a scrumptious and healthy meal. Coming home from school, all I want to do is relax and eat a yummy meal. Scallops have been my go-to because they are an easy way to enjoy a gourmet delicatessen at home. Eating sustainable seafood makes me feel like a better person because I am supporting local fisherman while still enjoying a delicious meal.

Scallops are incredibly high in nutrient content including vital minerals such as, magnesium, selenium, and potassium. These minerals act in a way, which prevent and protect our bodies from harmful conditions.
5 Top Health Benefits from eating scallops:
1. It is a great source of vitamin B12!
2. Incorporating scallops into your diet 2-3 times a month may prevent ischemic stroke
3. It is rich in fatty acids (omega-3) which help reduce inflammation throughout the entire body
4. Extremely high in protein!
5. Eating scallops can protect against many serious conditions such as, cardiovascular disease and hypertension.


 
How to prepare scallops?
You have to be careful when cooking scallops because you don’t want to overdo it! Too much heat will cause the scallops to become tough and rubbery. Setting a timer is a great way to avoid this issue!




A Few Quick Tips:
• Broil scallops in the oven, skewer them and add a hint of olive oil. Broil 6-8 minutes or until scallops begin to turn golden. Get the easy recipe HERE.
• Sear scallops in butter and oil while adding a few spices like paprika, cayenne, or nutmeg. Get an easy recipe without spices HERE.
• Make a delicious lemon sauce to pour over the yummy scallops. For lemon sauce click HERE. For a lemon cream sauce click HERE. For a lemon basil sauce click HERE.

What to serve with scallops? Any or all of the below are wonderful accompaniments.
o Green salad with tomatoes and cucumbers
o Rice
o Boiled and buttered potatoes
o Asparagus
o Broccoli

Eat Well!
Gabriela

Gabriela Sneider is a business development associate for Santa Barbara Fish Market where you can support the local fishermen and buy fresh seafood online or buy fresh fish online.

I'll be back Monday with Lizzie T. Leaf. Until then...

Bon Appétit!

Sloane Taylor
Twitter
Amazon Author Page



1 comment:

  1. Nice to meet you, Gabriela! Love scallops, and all seafood. You make a great addition to Sloane's blog. Plus you've just made my tummy rumble! Best wishes in all your endeavors! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete