Wednesday, March 21, 2012

It's Wednesday, so What's Cooking? Merluzzo Alla Livornese

This is the time of year many people elect to eat fish on Friday. I see some of you wrinkling your noses. No need. You’ll be pleasantly surprised by the tantalizing aroma from this easy recipe and the taste is superb. Studs and I have served this menu to skeptical guests and they fell in love with it.

Cod Livornese (merluzzo alla livornese)
Whole Grain Spaghetti
Tossed Salad
Italian Bread
White Wine – Pinot Grigio from Bella Sera is perfect


Cod Livornese (merluzzo alla livornese)
2 tbsp olive oil
½ medium onion sliced thin
3 garlic cloves pressed or chopped fine
½ cup dry white wine
1 14-½ oz. can diced tomatoes or 7 large Roma tomatoes chopped
½ cup sliced black olives
4 tbsp parsley fresh (chopped) or 2 tbsp dried
2 tbsp washed, drained and chopped capers – optional, but they really add flavor
½ tsp crushed red pepper
4 pieces cod about 6 oz. each and cut to handle easily
1 tbsp fresh basil chopped or 1 tsp dried

In nonstick large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat until it shimmers. Add onion, stir until translucent and lightly brown. Stir in garlic, cook 30 seconds. Add wine, cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes with the juice, olives, parsley, capers and red pepper. Heat to boiling.

Lay cod fillets over tomato mixture. Lower heat to medium. Cover skillet and cook until cod turns opaque throughout and flakes, about 9 minutes.

Sprinkle basil across the top.

Serve over whole grain spaghetti.

Makes 4 servings

Don’t prepare extra. Leftovers have a stale taste and tend to be tough.

Whole Grain Spaghetti
Prepare according to package directions

Tossed Salad
Lettuce from 2 different types torn into bite size pieces, red leaf and head are excellent choices
Tomatoes chopped
Cucumber peeled and sliced
Zucchini diced
Green Onions sliced, be sure to add some of the green
Mushrooms sliced
Black Olive
Pepperoncini

Combine everything, or any grouping you like. Cover with a damp paper towel and store in the fridge until ready to serve.

Toss with a good Italian dressing. Newman’s Own Family Recipe Italian Dressing is ideal. Periodically, check out this link for coupons.

Be careful not to add too much dressing or the lettuce will get soggy. Should you mix in too much dressing, dump the salad in a colander for a minute or three to allow excess dressing to drain off.

Several of you have emailed me about writing. Monday, I'll begin a series of tips and suggestions to stretch your talent. Until then...

Mangiar!

Sloane Taylor
www.sloanetaylor.com

6 comments:

  1. I did make your roast a couple of weeks ago and not only was it delicious the sauce was amazing. I made a stew a few days later and put the half cup or so I had left into it...mmmmm. So...let's see if I can talk the picky eaters into trying this, we need to eat more fish and the recipe sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate, I'm so glad you enjoyed the roast. You're making my mouth water! I'll have to make it again just so I can do your stew.:)Please let me know what your picky eaters think of the cod.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not like fish at all. I think it smells and tastes weird. Over the years many people have tried to get to like fish and I have tried, honestly I have from salmon and trout to catfish orange roughy and sea bass...it all tasted nasty to me. I can eat tuna, but only cold from a can. Oh, and I also had swordfish once, which was good, but that is mega-expensive. As delicious as your recipes are, no fish for me. Unless the zombie apocalypse comes and I am forced to for survival, LOL

    I will pass this along to others who I know enjoy fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never let it be said Melissa doesn't speak her mind. LOL

      I won't push lie and tell you it tastes like chicken.:) I am pleased you'll pass along the recipe. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I love fish, it's the whole wheat pasta I can't seem to get use to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yasmine, the first time I made cod livornese I used regular spaghetti and it was excellent. Now, I'm attempting to eat healthier and sadly failing.:)

      Delete